Acting Out Justice
Theatre of the Beat is now offering a unique, participatory workshop that uses drama to explore the concepts of Restorative Justice. Your group will be transported back in time, to 1974, in the recently vandalized community of Elmira, ON. Two men have been apprehended and YOU must decide their fate!
• Play drama activities from Augusto Boal’s “Games for actors and non-actors”
• Compare the “three questions” asked by Restorative and Punitive justice
• Learn the historic roots of Sentencing Circles, based on First Nation’s philosophies
• Recreate real life characters from small town Elmira using a “Character Walk”
• Experience how Sentencing Circles work first hand, participating in a dramatic reenactment
This 45-60 minute workshop can hold up to 25 students. No drama experience is required.